May 22, 2010

Martina Navratilova Fights Cancer with Sports


The tennis legend, Martina Navratilova (53), was diagnosed having a breast cancer on last February. She made a public announcement about her illness on "Good Morning America" last month. She decided to speak publicly about her condition to encourage women to get tested.

"I'm this healthy person, I've been healthy all my life, and all of a sudden I have cancer. Are you kidding me?" - Martina Navratilova

As part of her treatment, she will undergo six weeks of radiation started this May. Still in her second week of the therapy she has prepared herself to swing her tennis racquet again. “I am in fact cancer free, that was taken out when I had the lumpectomy about six weeks ago. I just started radiation last week,” she said on a conference call.




Martina Navratilova, 18-time Grand Slam singles champion, has been practicing at Roland Garros with doubles partner Jana Novatna ahead of the four-team mini-tournament they’ll participate in during the second week of the French Open. The tournament will be started May 23 in Paris.

Navratilova said her condition and treatment won’t affect her busy schedule. In March, after the surgery, she completed a 25- mile bike leg of a triathlon in Hawaii. She’ll attempt to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain, in December.

Related Posts by Categories:




0 comments:

Post a Comment

We really appreciate if you don't use inappropriate words and links for commenting. Thanks You.